Is it really possible to write 50,000 words in 30 days?
Yes, yes it is. I’m so glad you asked! I was worried about this too, so I used all of my mathematical skills to crunch some numbers.
You need to write 1,667 words a day. What?! Yep.
But it’s not as bad as it sounds. If you can type 40 WPM, you can get the quota done in 42 minutes. Of course, you’ll have to allow for thinking time, so…let’s round up to two hours total.
That’s it! Two hours a day will get you to 50,000 words.
Depending on your personality there are several things you can do to help you focus.
– Set your phone to silent, and the. Leave it in a different room so you’re not tempted to look at it
– Make a playlist of your favourite music to listen to while you work
– If you like coffee house noise, there is actually a website that will play that sound
– Use a timer. A digital one is best since egg timers are noisy. 20-25 minutes is a good limit. It motivates your mind to work faster because of the deadline. Also, it gives you a chance to stretch a bit between sessions.
– Carry a small notebook with you. Everywhere. You never know when you’ll get a good idea. And let’s face it, the idea is never as brilliant when you try to remember later. :/
What are some other things that you use to focus on writing?